The transportation of passengers and merchandise with animals is a characteristic trait of Santorini, given the particular morphology of its terrain. It is knowledgeable that even today taxi donkeys are appreciable development, especially because of the visitors of the island’s desire to experience this traditional way of crossing the graphic cliffs of caldera. The Municipality of Thira is obliged to care for the high quality of provided services of the transportation of passengers, for the rational regulation of circulation in the streets of the region, for the protection of health and the safety of residents and visitors, and also, for the guarantee of bearable conditions of living and working of passenger (taxi) animals. The present regulation has been established for the achievement of the abovementioned objectives and takes place by its permanent improvement with the cooperation of all interested institutions of the Municipality of Thira.
Α. LICENSE FOR CIRCULATING MERCHANDISE / PASSENGER ANIMALS
Passenger animals, according to the present meaning, constitute horses, donkeys, and mules.
1. Each passenger animal, which is engaged in the transportation of passengers (merchandise), requires a license to circulate, which is granted by an employee of the Municipality of Thira, who is assigned by the Mayor of Thira, to whoever possesses it aiming to work as a merchandise passenger vehicle. The circulation license is issued in the name of holder of the animal and states the registration number of the animal, the year and the month of birth of the animal, as well as the full name, maiden name. and tax file number of the holder and partner. In the license, a photograph of the holder is attached.
2. Each animal that is given a license is observed by a special service of the Municipality, which is assigned by the Mayor, special file.
Conditions of issuing the circulation license of the merchandise passenger animal constitute accumulatively the following:
a) the animal should have completed the 3rd year of its age.
b) the animal should be suitable health wise for the use that is intended, as for itself as much as for its passengers.
c) the holder of the animal and institution of circulation license should allocate the legal qualifications for the exercise of his/her profession.
The use of animal as a passenger merchandise without the forecasted present circulation license is prohibited. The offenders of this provision - mule drivers, holders and owners of the animal, are punished with a fine of the amount of € 300, - for each infringement.
1. Whoever wishes to acquire the circulation license of a passenger animal must submit to the Municipality of Thira, the relative application and provide –
a. two recent photographs of himself/herself,
b. proof of his/her identity and the identity of the owner (if he/she is not the same owner of the animal),
c. proved documents of his/her professional properties as a hirer of a passenger animal and his/her legal exercise (e.g. statement of commencement of occupation),
d. veterinary certificate of the age of the animal,
e. veterinary certificate of appropriateness of the animal for the use that is intended, as much for the animal itself as for its future passengers,
f. proved documents of legal possession of the animal and his/her right to use it as a merchandise passenger vehicle,
g. statement of location of establishment and stabilisation of the animal.
2. The application with the supporting documents is passed on immediately to specifically, moreover, a permitted employee of the Municipality, who examines the subscription of the conditions of issuing the license and advances the issue of the license or, proportionally, asks for additional supporting documents or justifiably rejects the application.
B. MULE DRIVERS ABILITY LICENSE
Each mule driver of the merchandise passenger animal is compelled to carry the mule driver’s ability license, which is granted for the duration of one year by specifically, a permitted employee of the Municipality of Thira, who is assigned by the Mayor. In the license the full name, the maiden name, and the residence of the holder are stated and his/her, photograph is attached to it.
In order to be granted the mule drivers ability license, the interested party should:
a) be over the 18th year of age and,
b) be physically and mentally in a position to exercise the activities in question.
Whoever wishes to acquire the mule driver’s ability license must submit to the Municipality of Thira the relative application and provide:
a) two recent photographs of himself/ herself,
b) proof of his/her identity and,
c) a medical certificate with regard to his/her ability to practice the activity of mule driver.
Whoever practices the activity of mule driver without the forecasted license of ability, as well as whoever occupies as a mule driver individual of deprived mule drivers ability license, is punished with a fine of the amount of € 300.
C. RULES OF CIRCULATION AND TREATMENT OF MARKET PASSENGER ANIMALS
1. In the hoof of each animal that is licensed its number of circulation is marked.
2. Each animal that is licensed is compelled to veterinary inspection at the latest per six month period, so that its ability and appropriateness for use is checked, for which it is intended. The responsible veterinarian issues a certificate of appropriateness based on the form, which is drawn up by the Municipality of Thira.
3. The circulation of a merchandise passenger animal is prohibited if a six-month period has expired from the last veterinary inspection and it has not been provided with new certificate of the previous paragraph. The offenders of this provision are punished with a fine of the amount of € 200, - for each infringement.
1. The holder of each animal that is licensed is compelled to notify, without delay, the potential change of its place of establishment and stabilisation and station of work, as well as ensuring the unhindered access of authoritative controllers that are assigned with the decision of the Mayor, so that they can inspect their appropriateness and inspect the terms of hygiene and conditions of living and work, who will be assigned by a special decision of the Municipal Council. This decision can be modified depending on the development of each scientific fact or social need.
2. For each infringement of the terms of stabilisation and hygiene and of conditions of living and work of the animals, the holder of the animal is punished with a fine of the amount of € 200, - If three such infringements are confirmed in the time interval of one year, the offender is punished with a 10 day suspension of the circulation license of the animal. In the event of non-conformity of the offender and his new relapse, the circulation license of the animal can be removed indefinitely. The license can only be granted again if the authoritative controllers certify the conformity of the holder to the relative provisions.
1. The holder of each animal is compelled to care for the cleaning of the roads and in general communal spaces from the excrements of his/her animal, for the evasion of smells that emanates from this, and for the maintenance of hygiene in the abovementioned spaces, in the degree that is endangered by the presence of each animal.
2. For each infringement of the provisions of the previous paragraph the holder of the pollutant animal and the mule driver are punished with a fine of the amount of € 200, -. If three such infringements are certified in a time interval of one year, the offender holder is punished with a 10-day suspension of the circulation license of a pollutant animal and the mule driver with a 10-day suspension of mule driver’s ability license. In the event of non-conformity of the mule driver and his/her new relapse, the mule driver’s ability license is removed for six months. During the term that the previous sentence is in effect he/she cannot issue a new mule drivers ability license, if the old one has expired.
1. The holder of each animal must for each merchandise passenger animal be equipped with insurance urban responsibility from accidents during transit, which covers as much any chance of material damage that will be caused also the hospital expenses medico-pharmaceutical care unlimitedly, as much as the responsibilities from cause of moral damage or mental grief up to at least the sum of € 1.000.000, -. The circulation of an animal as a merchandise passenger without the mentioned before insurance is prohibited.
2. The offenders holders and mule drivers of the provisions of the previous paragraph are punished with a fine of the amount of € 200, - for each infringement.
1. The merchandise passenger animals follow predetermined routes as much during their tour with passengers, as transport to and from their stables. These routes are determined with a special decision of the Municipal Council, which can be modified depending on the development of the circulatory and environmental conditions.
2. The holders and mule drivers of animals that deviate from these routes, are punished with a fine of the amount of € 200, - for each infringement.
1. Each mule driver is able to have the responsibility of up to 6 animals being the maximum limit in his/her work station and up to 3 animals maximum limit for each route of transport of passengers, including the animal, on which he uses himself/herself. The transport of animals without the escort of a mule driver is prohibited.
2. The offenders holders and mule drivers of the provisions of the previous paragraph are punished with a fine of the amount of € 300, - for each infringement.
1. The mule drivers of merchandise passenger animals are compelled to always carry the license to circulate and the valid certificates of veterinary inspection of the animals, the responsibility of which they have, as well as their mule driver’s ability license. These documents are compelled to be shown at every check from the authoritative bodies. Any mule driver, which does not carry or shows the documents that are asked of him/her, is punished with a fine of the amount of € 60, - for each infringement.
2. The mule drivers of the merchandise passenger animals are compelled to have the clothing and to observe the models of hygiene that will be determined by a special decision of the Municipal Council. The offenders of these provisions are punished with a fine of the amount of € 60 for each infringement.
1. Each animal should be allocated a shady waiting place and access to water during the whole duration of the day, to be tied up in a way so that it can move itself freely, allocate the collar in good condition, take on correct maintenance of hooves (overgrown nails), to be submitted to a program of hygiene (anti-parasite, etc.) and have sufficient stabilisation in all seasons of the year.
2. In the stables of the animals there must be special tools available for the hooves (nails), so that they are checked daily.
3. When an animal returns from work with an injury, it is not allowed to be used again for work until its recovery. The limping, ill, and hurt animals are prohibited to be used for work, until a responsible veterinarian judges them suitable.
4. The merchandise passenger animals are prohibited to be loaded with excessive weight load for its size, age or their physical condition. In no case, the load is not able to exceed the weight of 100 kilos or in any event 1/5 of the weight of the animal.
5. The fillies as merchandise passenger animals must stop working from the end of the seventh month of their gestation up to the end of third month after the gestation.
6. Any whatsoever bad treatment of animals is prohibited, especially that constitutes an infringement of the provisions of the present article. The offenders of these provisions holders and mule drivers are punished with a fine of the amount of € 300, -. If three such infringements are reported in a time interval of one year, the offender holder is punished with a 10-day temporary suspension of the circulation license of the animal and the offender mule driver with a 10-day temporary suspension of the mule driver’s ability license. In this event of non-conformity of the offender holder and his/her new relapse, the circulation license of the animal can be permanently removed. The license can only be reissued if the responsible bodies of control certify the conformity of the holder to the relative provisions. In the event of non-conformity of the mule driver and his/her new relapse, the mule driver’s ability license is removed for six months. During the effect of the previous sentence, a new mule driver’s ability license cannot be issued, if the old one has expired. .
1. The establishments in which the animals are kept should be found in a region removed from the centre of the village or the settlement and not cause nuisance (smell, insects, noise etc) to the neighbours. The establishments and their equipment should satisfy the essential sanitary requirements for the animals. In each establishment it is essential that the existence of a system of collection and disposal of excrements and in general, sewage, so that they do not constitute danger for the public health, they do not cause nuisance to a third person and they do not harm the environment. In each establishment, it is essential the existence of an isolated space (cages or buildings) for reservation of a patient or a suspicion of an ill animal, which should be possible to be cleaned and disinfected within this facility. The equipment, the tools, and the means of transport should be cleaned, and disinfected after each use. The destruction of dead animals and polluted materials should be done with the use of healthy methods. The treatment of animals should be suitable, so that they are maintained healthy. The stable establishments and work of animals should allow them to live in acceptable conditions according to their nature. The food that is provided to the animals should fill the specifications that concern the particular type of product and is determined by the relative legislation.
2. The offenders of the provisions of the previous paragraph, holders of the animal, are punished proportionally according to paragraph 6 of the previous article.
D. FINAL PROVISIONS
The infringements of the provisions of the present regulation are certified by the police bodies and by specifically permitted controlling bodies of the Municipality of Thira, which are assigned by a decision of the Mayor. The bodies that certify the infringements impose also the fines that are forecasted. The sanctions that consist of loss of license are imposed by the Mayor.
The force of the present law begins from the 01.01.2009.